Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Going Boho


The most exciting part of my last week in Rio has been my hostel. It is located in Santa Teresa which is a historic neigboorhood filled with ornate houses often times occupyied by artisans, musicians etc.. The hostel definitely retains that vibe in large part by the guests it attracts. My first night was a thursday. I was having some whisky at the roof top bar and practicing my Portuguese with some people from São Paulo. I turn around and there is a line up of muscians by the pool. The percussion instrument was akin to a calypso or steel drum in sound but was not as large. Another hippie guy played a half assed bongo. There was a Vancouverite on acoustic guitar and singing. The guy who called it all together was a trumpet player from Amsterdam but the purveyor of the whole jam was on the motherfreakin digereedoo!! They improvised the whole time and it was a blast.
It was advantageous that I stayed off the beach this week as they weather was not steller. We are about 10 mins walking from Lapa and I made sure to make it to the original samba club on a sunday night to shake my booty. It was cool. Other than that this week has been pretty low key. I met a lot of cool people at this hostel (see photo), and I may return here when I stop through Rio before I return home. Buenos Aires here I come! Hasta Luego!!

No comments: