Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fast times and Dog sitting in Floripa



You may have noticed a downward trend in my blog frequency over the past....well really since I began this thing!! Apologies, but honestly I was actually hoping not to spend too much time in front of the computer screen. Anyhoo...I'm still in Florianopolis. Obviously I'm finding it hard to leave the city with one of the highest quality of life ratings in Latin America...and I've met some really great people (& Pugs) here!


The #1 highlight since my last entry was my day trip to the Island of Campeche (see my Facebook). The entire island is a national reserve and is considered unique as it was the sole offshore isle that supported a prehistoric population. I would have been interested in seeing some of the ancient inscriptions but my friends Minda & Deborah were a bit distracted by the white, sandy, and squeeky clean beach on which we arrived. We had missed the earlier boat due to some bad information from the ticket sellers (typical) so it was probably for the best that we stay there and take a dip in the crystalline, natural bath water (located opposite the open sea of course). I swear I had dreamt about this type of experience in my drawn out anticipation of this trip!
I'll really have to make some more memories here quick as the time continues to fly by..and it turns out I have less of it than I thought! Originally, my intent was to spend 130 days abroad. The maximum amount that a foriegner may spend within the Federal Republic of Brasil (in a 365 day period) is 180 days. Early on in my trip I realized that my budget was substantial enough to support an itinerary of the maximum time limit. What I didn't anticipate was some jerkoff border agent arbitrarily shortening my length of stay!!
Apparently, when I submitted my entry documentation upon re-entry into Brasil @ IguaƧu (2 months ago) someone with bad handwriting made a 9 look too much like a 4. If this seems confusing...well....thats Brasil for you! Anyway doing the math...180 days after my original entry on 12/27/08 would give me until around 06/25/09 to stay (+/-). Due to the 'whatever the hell went down" during my re-entry, I have recently been informed by the Brasilian Federales that I must leave on or before the 2nd of June. 3 weeks difference may not seem like a lot of time at first...but when you're moving at a snails pace...sipping caipirinhas and subsequently drunk dancing samba along the way (rsrsrs)...that end date is going to sneak up before you know it. I am pretty sure I am going to the next point on the map (Curitiba) at the end of next week....but I have been saying that for the past month so we'll see.
One element that made time fly was a wonderful 10 day stretch with my 'querida' Deborah, while she dog sat for her friend. It sucks that (apparently) we're just friends. At least I can practice the P-geese?
Before I get out of here I would like to hit up one good trail to a secluded beach in the south of the Island. I am giving up on the surfing thing btw...I am not committed enough to be able to catch a wave and ride for more than 5 seconds...and I broke a board too! So yeah...big dreams die hard...
Boas Ondas Duuuuuude

No comments: