Saturday, February 7, 2009

FLN Fun


So...its been a quick 2 weeks in Floripa. These times call for a little redirection as I admit Ive been coming up a little short on some fundamental goals and the time sure is flying by! Ive yet to surf and Ive been speaking way too much english. I am somewhat disappointed with my homestay and immersion school set up so that may call for some improv measures as well. At least the nightlife scene this time of year is good. I have frequented the area of Lagoa da Conceição as there are many clubs and bars there. The best night so far was last week on Wednesday when I went to the trendy Conferia das Artes with my roomate Dominique. He is a funny english dude that has been in Floripa for almost 4 months and has helped me meet some other people and showed me around a bit. At Conferia, they run their promotions by handing out VIP invites at all of the local modeling agencies. If you are some bloke off the street (i.e. ME), all you have to do is pay 50 Brasilian Reais (around $20) to enter! Once inside, its a little pertentious but worth doing at least once. (You can even shop for clothes in there if you want!) I indulged in the novelty of spazzdancing to the song American Boy. All of the ladies are very beautiful and stylish and guys have it easy as all you have to wear is a pressed tee shirt and jeans. Simple enough now all I have to do is start asking all these women, Tudo Bem?

My former portuguese instructor is from this city and I was able to get in touch with her nephew. He has a car and thusly, I was able to go to a more local type beach on the far north of the island called Praia Brava. This time of year, many of the beaches are overrun with Argentines coming up on Summer Vacay. You actually hear more of their crazy Spanish accents than Portuguese in many places. Being a foreigner, I am sometimes taken for an Argentine tourist by the locals but apparently the Argentines think Im local as Ive been asked for directions a few times in Spanish (which I could understand!)




Até mais

No comments: